While dining out at Alexander’s in San Francisco, I was pleasantly surprised to see a poached egg atop my salad. Immediately I was smitten! While nothing revolutionary, I knew I would be repeating this dish at home. I decided to brush up on my egg poaching skills and go on a recipe hunt. During my search, I was able to find a recipe that included three of my favorite things: barley, butternut squash and poached eggs! Once prepared, this dish is best served with two of my other favorite things: a chilled bottle of Torrontes and my lover!
Butternut Squash & Barley Salad with Poached Egg
Serves: 4 | Cook Time: 30 minutes
1 cup barley
2 1/2 cups water
1 small butternut squash, peeled and cut into large chunks
1 tsp cinnamon
pinch of nutmeg
1 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
Apple Cider Vinaigrette
3 tbsp apple cider vinegar
1 1/2 tbsp maple syrup
6 tbsp olive oil
salt and pepper
4 cups arugula
1/2 cup dried cranberries
4 eggs, poached
Preheat oven to 350 degrees
- Combine barley and water in a medium pot. Bring to a boil over high heat.
- Reduce to a simmer, cover and cook until tender and the water is absorbed, about 45 minutes.
- Toss cut butternut squash with cinnamon, nutmeg, olive oil and salt and pepper.Spread on a baking sheet and roast for 30 minutes or until tender.
- Prepare vinaigrette by whisking together vinegar with maple syrup and olive oil. Season with salt and pepper.
- Toss together barley with roasted squash, arugula, and dried arugula with vinaigrette.
- Divide onto 4 plates.
- Top with poached egg and shaved parmesan.